Carnegie Library of McKeesport
1507 Library Avenue
McKeesport, PA 15132
- REMOTE ACCESS TO CATALOG/RESOURCES
- MATERIALS FOR THE BLIND
- MATERIALS FOR THE HANDICAPPED
- PHOTOCOPIES & COMPUTER PRINTOUTS
- STORY HOURS
- SUMMER READING PROGRAM
- CHESS TOURNAMENT
Hours of OperationMcKeesport -Thursdays - 12:30 p.m.
White Oak Branch - Tuesdays - 12:30p.m.
Elizabeth Branch - Fridays - 10:30 a.m.
Duquesne Branch - Not available at this time - Please attend another branch
About UsThe Carnegie Library of McKeesport has stood at the top of a hill for a century.
The outside of the newly cleaned Carnegie Library of McKeesport, an imposing stone structure, is a visual symbol of the strength and importance of the events that have taken place inside this fine building. Events that have given the community an enduring legacy - children exploring the wonder of books, community groups gathering for lectures and events, friends enjoying lively dances and theatrical productions, and civic organizations meeting and making decisions -- all of which have helped shape and touch the lives of many individuals.
The Library itself began as a result of the efforts of one civic organization: The Women's Club of McKeesport. Newly formed in late 1809, the Club's first goal was to create a library for McKeesport. Knowing of his interest and support of other library projects, Club Secretary, Mrs. Fred Crabtree wrote to Andrew Carnegie asking for his help. After many pleas over the next year, he responded with a gift of $50,000 to build the building.
His gift was made with the understanding that the City of McKeesport would furnish a proper site for the building and provide for its maintenance and operation. A far corner of the Evans Estate, bounded by what are now known as Carnegie, Library and Union Avenue was chosen as the location. On February 11, 1900, an ordinance was passed by the Council of the City of McKeesport accepting Mr. Carnegie's donation and appropriating $3,000 annually for the operation of the library. William J. East, a noted Pittsburgh architect, designed the building that is recognized as one of the area's architectural treasures. On July 15, 1902 President James Evans and Mrs. Fred Crabtree of the Board of Trustees opened the Library's doors.
The Library has grown considerably from the collection of 3,000 books Librarian Emily Kuhn first offered the community in 1902 to the present total of 110,134 books. The Library was named a historical landmark in the late 1970's. Recent renovations include the installation of nearly 16,600 Spanish roof tiles in keeping with the original design of the building. Since the 1990's additional changes and renovations have included an elevator, handicap accessibility, wiring, computers and the establishment of three branch locations.
The Board of Trustees, Director and Staff are proud to present the best library around through the Carnegie Library of McKeesport for the next hundred years.